Back Pain Treatment At The Chiropractic Experience
At The Chiropractic Experience, we understand that back pain can keep you from working, playing a sport, or performing daily activities. Dr. Mark Horwater, your chiropractor in Lawrence, is skilled and experienced in detecting the cause of the pain and providing the best back pain treatment that can prevent it from recurring.
Causes of Back Pain
Acute back pain comes on suddenly and can last no more than six weeks. When pain persists over three months, it is chronic. Some common causes of back pain include:
- Tendon or Muscle Strain: This type of injury can be caused by repeated heavy lifting or a sudden movement that stretches or tears the tendons or muscles. Poor physical condition or repetitive strain in your lower back can provoke painful muscle spasms.
- Osteoarthritis: Some cases of arthritis can lead to narrowing of the space around the spinal cord or spinal stenosis, which then can bring about pain in the back.
- Skeletal Irregularities: When your spine curves abnormally to the side (scoliosis), it can cause chronic back pain.
- Bulging Disc: The discs in your spine act as cushions between the vertebrae, and if they are bulged, they can pinch a nerve and cause back pain.
- Auto and Athletic injuries: The sudden jarring and wrenching of your back can lead to persistent back pain.
Risk Factors of Back Pain
Anyone, no matter the age, can develop back pain. However, some factors can cause a greater risk of developing back pain, including:
- Age: Back pain is more common as you get older, starting around age 30 or 40
- Excess weight: Being overweight can put additional stress on your back
- Improper Lifting: Using your back rather than your legs to lift objects can result in chronic pain
- Lack of Exercise: Weak muscles in your abdomen and back can also lead to back pain
- Smoking: Smoking reduces blood flow to your lower spine, preventing your body from delivering the proper nutrients to the discs in your spine
Treatments and Therapies for Back Pain
Studies show that chiropractic therapies are effective and safe in treating back pain. Spinal manipulation is the most common course of action that can reduce back pain. It involves high-velocity thrusts to the vertebra to improve functionality, resulting in reduced nerve irritability and restored range of motion. Strengthening the muscles and proper ergonomics can also help with easing the pain and preventing it from returning in the future.
Contact Us for Back Pain Treatment
Put an end to your nagging back pain by visiting our chiropractor at The Chiropractic Experience in Lawrence. Call us at 785-838-3333 to schedule an appointment.